New packaging law in Germany as of 1 January 201920 November 2018
A new packaging law will be in force in Germany as of 1 January 2019. This will have consequences for Business to Consumer (B2C) packaging in particular, for which a registration and notification obligation will apply. The aim of this law is to improve the way in which the recycling of this packaging is arranged. What does this mean for you?
The new law applies to the owner of the packaged product at the moment at which it crosses the German border.
Which packaging falls under this law?
The new packaging law applies to Business to Consumer packaging. This concerns all packaging, for both flowers and plants, that is intended to reach the consumer. For example, this includes:
- Sleeves or wrapping foil
- Cardboard packaging
- Plastic plant pots that are removed by the consumer immediately after purchase (such as for garden plants)
Which packaging does not fall under this law?
If a pot is intended to be used for a plant for the entire duration of its life, this does not fall under B2C packaging and is not governed by the new legislation. The same applies to transport packaging, such as plant trays. This packaging is viewed as Business to Business (B2B) packaging.
Responsible for declaration
Responsibility for compliance with this new legislation lies with the owner of the product plus packaging at the moment at which it crosses the German border.
|Situation||Who is responsible for declaration?|
|Supply for sale through VRM||Supplier|
|Direct sale to German customer:|
|1. Is the supplier the owner at the moment of crossing the border?||Supplier|
2. Is the customer the owner at the moment of crossing the border? (purchased directly from the nursery)
|Supplier sells to exporting trading company||Trading company|
Register now and avoid fines
If you are responsible for declaration, our advice is to:
- Register in the so-called Zentralen Stelle Verpackungsregister (Central Packaging Register).
- Conclude a licensing agreement with a recycling company for the quantity of sales packaging that you intend to bring into the German market. You will be charged for the total weight that you put into circulation.
We would like to emphasize that you will be in breach of the law without registration as of 1 January 2019, and this could lead to heavy fines.
Would you like more information about this new legislation? Please visit:
- German: https://www.verpackungsregister.org/
- English: https://verpackungsgesetz-info.de/en/#loesungen
Do you have any questions?
If you have questions, please contact our Customer Service department.
Always up to date with the latest news? Sign up for our weekly digital newsletter.
Do not display againSubscribe